Subject Re: [IBO] problems with SQL query
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:02 AM 29/07/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Helen
>
>As I use the qryFBall do several things I would like to have set the sql
>at run time, also both fields are strings. I thus changed the code to look
>like:
>
>queryString:='SELECT e.* FROM employee e JOIN project1 p1 ON p1.empNo =
>e.emp_no WHERE p1.empNo= :empNo and p1.projectno= :projectno'
>
>with datamodule2.qryFBAll do
> begin
> if not Prepared then Prepare;
> if Active then Close;
> Params['empNo'].AsString := form1.DBEdit3.Text;
> Params['projectno'].AsString :=form1.cmbModule.text;
> sql.Clear;
> sql.add(queryString);
> open;
> end;
>
>but I get 'incompatible types: integer and string' on both the params
>lines. The fields are both set to char(10) in the database

This isn't an incompatibility coming from the databases, it's in the values
you are reading. AsString isn't incompatible with char types.

I note you are reading the Text property of a control named
DBEdit3. Assuming it is a TDBEdit, reading its Text property won't get the
correct type of data if it is not a character type. To get this value, you
have to read the underlying data field value. If you need it to go to the
database as a char(10), cast it with IntToStr before passing it to your
string parameter, or include a CAST() expression in your SQL statement.

Helen