Subject RE: [IBO] Transaction Advice Needed
Author Paul Hope
Hi Kevin

I notice that your post hasn't been answered so I thought I would try and
contribute a little.

I have the same problem with quite a large app that continues to grow but
has largely migrated from the BDE. I found I couldn't clear the OAT with a
sweep because it was 'stuck'.

One the causes I had was the IB_Cursor and the default(autocommit)
transaction doing a simple read some records into a client object. If it
is possible for an IB_Cursor to left open, because the user leaves a form
open where you don't close the cursor or and exception causes the close
command to be skipped then the OAT will get stuck. I have now put all my
IB_Cursors in a try-finally-close, this combined with setting the sweep
interval to 10000 has made it manageable for now. Alternatively I could
have used explicit non autocommit transactions in a
try-commit-except-rollback block but that was a lot more work.

I believe the reason why the transaction gap still grows (requiring the
sweep) is my use of TIB_Query, db aware controls and autocommit. I still
don't know if there is a simple solution to this - a hard commit will close
the data.

I would welcome a clearer understanding of the options so if anyone else
would like to illuminate please do . . . .

Regards
Paul