Subject Re: [IBO] updating blob via stored procedure
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:13 PM 7/05/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I need to send the contents of a memo as one of several input parameters to
>a stored procedure which then updates two tables. If I remove the reference
>to the blob from the procedure it executes fine. However, when including the
>blob I get a database error. It seems that sending the blob contents as a
>string won't work.
>I have been using a TIBCursor with SQL 'EXECUTE PROCEDURE FOO(PARAM1,PARAM2,
>...)'

In Firebird you can write a string of up to 32765 bytes to a text blob. In
IB you can't.

However, you can not pass a string in a blob parameter - a blob parameter
expects a blob.

If you want to pass a string to your SP, declare a varchar
argument. Inside the SP you can write the string to the text blob, as you
can in DSQL.

It's actually more efficient to pass a blob. IBO has very good support for
blob parameters of any kind (not just text).

Helen