Subject Re: [IBO] TIBOTable and Order by
Author Don Gollahon
"Artur Anjos" <artur@...> wrote in message
news:<4064A5EA.3030203@...>...

> Hi Don,
>
> Don Gollahon wrote:
> >>The reason I'm using TIBOTable is it will be accessing a temp table
> >>that is created for doing a report. The table name will therefore
> >>change.
>
> Why don't you use a TIBOQuery, with SQL like this one:
>
> 'Select * from'
> 'YourTable'
>
> Setting the table name will be as easy as TIBOQ.SQL[1] := TableName,
> and
> you will be abble to add Order By at any time.

I have used this idea for other things. Just thought the TIBOTable was
more convenient in this case. Keeps me from having to remember to
change my line #, too, if I change my query.

> As a small note, 'creating and deleting tables' on the fly is a bad
> practice in Firebird. Maybe you should focus on another method of
doing
> what you want ?

I've heard that. This will be a small table. Other Client/Server
systems provide a means of creating and using temp tables, though. Temp
tables help much when one is doing things like cross tab reports. In my
case, I run thru a series of 2 stored procedures before I save the
results into a temp table. The only reason of using the temp table is
to fill-in a new field of running differences.

I would gladly use an in-memory table for this but management doesn't
want us adding new components, even if they are free, without going thru
red-tape. They have some valid reasons.

Thanks for your suggestions.

> Artur

Don Gollahon