Subject RE: [IBO] Field Properties, Column Attribute - Question
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:51 AM 15/10/2004 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi,
>

> > >And I am sorry to say it is not working for me regardless if
> > I set this on
> > >the TIB_Connection component through the Object Inspector,
> > or the TIB_Cursor
> > >component through the Object Inspector.
> >
> > What are you expecting it to do?
> >
> > Helen
>

>I would expect the same results as those encountered when the same
>ColumnAttributes and FieldProperties are set on a TIB_Query. Thus, as per
>the documentation (which is word for word in both the TIB_Cursor and
>TIB_Query).
>
>"...All columns are visible by default. Just toggle the Visible property to
>FALSE for your non-displaying column...."
>

>"...Use the BOOLEAN setting so that, if a column that is designed to be
>Boolean is used in a grid, it will appear as a checkbox...."

Ah...

Only tib_grid supports the embedded controls. When Jason's help comments
mention "grid" they usually refer to tib_grid. (Note, some of the other
smart data controls like TIB_LookupCombo and TIB_ComboBox use tib_grid in
their dropdowns.)

If you are using an ib_cursor to play with ColumnAttributes, on the whole
you will only get your results if you use other controls and operate on
live data. For example, surface a column with a Boolean attribute in a
TIB_Checkbox. And don't forget that the data-aware controls can only
respond to the data in the currentrow buffer, since tib_cursor is unbuffered.

As I think I mentioned in an earlier response, the TIB_CursorGrid is
nothing but a container, just a fairly bare descendant from
TStringGrid. In terms of data-awareness, it's more or less dead, since the
row buffer from which the data ws read is long gone. Any FieldsXXX
properties that don't have to act on actual data to make sense (like
FieldsDisplayLabel and FieldsDisplayWidth), if set, are applied; but any
ColumnAttributes, and any FieldsXXX attributes that need the active data to
make sense (such as FieldsDisplayFormat) are ignored.

Since you seem to have started at the steep end of the learning curve, I
hope this rough demo might help you to see what's going on:

File : /testdatasets.zip
Uploaded by : helebor <helebor@...>
Description : Demo for D. Jimenez of FieldsXXX and ColumnAttributes effects

You can access the file at the URL: