Subject Re: [IBO] serious design problem: update queries
Author L.M. Bemmelmans
Svein,

No that's not what I mean, and no I don't think my question has been
answered yet. So I think my question was not very clear. I'll try again:

I just want IBobject to generate an UPDATE SQL based on the actual changed
fields of my dataset

So when I change only "lastname" I would IBobjects to produce the following
update statement:

UPDATE orders SET lastname = :lastname WHERE orderID = ID

in stead of
UPDATE orders SET lastname =:lastname,
firstname=:firstname,orderID=:id,achived=:archived WHERE orderID = ID

Greetings,

Leon

"Svein Erling Tysvaer" <svein.erling.tysvaer@...> wrote in
message news:5.1.0.14.0.20030721102159.03067bf0@158.36.132.22...
> Hi Leon! Helen and Lester have answered most of your questions and I only
> have one little comment:
>
> >But what is the correct solution for this problem using IBobjects? Is
there
> >a way to only put "changed" records into the update statement.
>
> Assuming you meant "fields" and not "records" (the preceeding part of your
> mail so indicates): Firebird has only got row level locking, not field
> level (please correct if it exists and is a feature unknown by me). Hence,
> if one user change any field of a record, then there is no way another
> transaction can change any field of that record until the transaction that
> updated the record is committed or rolled back.
>
> Set

> IB Objects - direct, complete, custom connectivity to Firebird or
InterBase