Subject Re: [IBO] Difference between IB_searchedit, IB_incsearch, IB_locateedit
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:28 AM 26/06/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>I have tested using all the three component. And I dont see how do
>they differ, because by setting their properties they could function
>similarly the same.
>
>Can anyone give an indepth explanation of each control.
>
>Iam having trouble with IB_searchedit, I can't get it to work. I have
>set the searchinglinks in my IB_query, and the datasource of the
>IB_searchedit, is there anything I am missing?

In edit mode (dataset.State dssEdit), ib_searchedit just like an ordinary
ib_edit. However, in Search mode (dataset State dssSearch), it becomes an
input field for search criteria, on whatever column is currently the
SearchingLink.

ib_LocateEdit is kind of similar, except that it does its stuff in Browse
mode and goes into action when you enter a key value and call the dataset's
Locate method. It doesn't work in Search mode.

ib_incsearch isn't an edit field - it's for implementing an incremental
searching interface. It works with SearchingLinks as well, but works in
both Browse and Search modes. You have to pay attention to the properties
of this control - you need to set it up for the style of searching you want.

You can probably get a better handle on how searching works by reading the
IBO help for the ib_searchbar...

Helen