Subject Re: [IBO] Looking for rationale...
Author Lucas Franzen
Alan,

Alan McDonald schrieb:

> I have a need for users to enter ten or fifteen records a month into a table
> which requires them entering barcodes numbers (generated by a third party).
> There is a unique constraint on the barcode field.
> I can catch a duplicate with OnError testing for ERRCODE:335544665 and
> showing a message, rollingback the transaction but:

what for?

Violating a constraint like an unique index is happening when you post
the record - you don't have to commit or rollback the transation.

Just cancel your query if you don't wnat to stay in insert mode.

When the user finished the inserts then do a commit to save all
(correct) numbers.
All barcodes that weren't accepted are not saved anyway..

Luc.