Subject RE: [IBO] Optimizing IBO-app: Lookups
Author Alan McDonald
Helen,
clientdatasets only need to synchronise when you ask them. Otherwise they
can remain in briefacse mode for as long as you want - running off a local
file dataset. So they certainly do reduce overhead across the wire - I use
them extensively in this mode. as for IBO controls - I thought for a minute
there that there were IBO controls as opposed to IB_ controls - my mistake.
I would still consider using normal TDataset controls and Clientdataset
sources in briefcase mode for such an exercise (if indeed the quantity of
lookups is extensive)

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Sent: Sunday, 30 March 2003 10:32 AM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [IBO] Optimizing IBO-app: Lookups

At 08:01 AM 30/03/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>you could load then into clientdatasets when you synchronise, then run the
>IBO controls out of the clientdatsets between synchronising.

TClientDataset isn't compatible with TIB_Datasource, and also it needs a
TDataset-compatible Provider.

Notwithstanding, this is far from being a strategy for reducing overhead
across the wire, anyway, since it requires the Provider to exist at all
times, regardless of whether it is actually used...

>Since your data
>does not move from one PC to another in the form of a clientdataset, you
>will not incur any license fees

What licence fees? (just curious...)

Helen