Subject Re: [IBO] how to update field values based on other fields
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:11 PM 30/01/2003 +0800, you wrote:

>Thanks for all the info.
>

> > You might like to consider calling CalculateFields in the AfterModify
> > events of the participating IB_Columns.
> >

> Helen, yes I've been looking into the AfterModify event of TIB_Column, but
>without much luck. How exactly do I go about this?

Erm, good question, a place where I have floundered before.

Now, here's what I think I've done, to get at an event to cause
CalculateField to be called. There is a dataset property
CalculateAllFields which, if set true, will cause CalculateField to be
called on each of the calculated fields in the current row as soon as *any*
field in the row gets modified in the buffer. As long as your calculated
field setup is all nicely in place, I think that will do the trick.

Sorry I can't provide any practical examples, but I can't find anything
where I've actually used client-side calc fields. Being a very
server-focused individual, I confess I use the query spec to calculate
them. It seems like one to put on the to-do list for a tech info sheet,
doesn't it?

cheers,
Helen