|Subject||Re: [IBO] Blob Metadata and Scripts|
> I used the "Extract Metadata DDL" button in IB_SQL and then tried toIt may help if you said what the "errors" were. I am guessing the
> run the script using it's "Execute Script" button. I was getting
errors were related to the use of character set with a non-text blob
although AFAIK these are permitted (albeit probably useless).
> Come to find out that Blob fields (which are just memo fields IWhat version of server?
> created in the tables) are not getting extracted right by the
> metadata button. When I changed the Blob field definitions from what
> the metadata used:
> BLOB SUB_TYPE 0 SEGMENT SIZE 80 CHARACTER SET NONE
> to what the table source says:
> BLOB( 65535, 0 )
> then it works. Is this a bug in IBO 4.2 Hf?
In actual fact both declarations are incorrect for text blob fields
(you did say they were just "memo" fields). Since the blob sub_type
should be 1 for text blobs.
BLOB SUB_TYPE 1 SEGMENT SIZE nn CHARACTER SET NONE
BLOB( nn, 1 )
I am guessing that the segment size issue (80 vs 65535) may be
coming from the fact that the API is inconsistent with its support
for unsigned short. In some areas the API will support effectively
unsigned values, in other areas they cause problems. The general
rule of thumb that I use is dont exceed 32k on 16bit values when
dealing with the API.
It is possible that I can find another way of dealing with the
segment length that will support an unsigned 16bit value. But
before I look at that I would like to know what errors the original
code is causing (and on what server).