Subject Re: [IBO] Master-Detail for beginner
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 02:45 PM 09-03-02 -0500, John Elliott wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am a newbie to IB Objects after years of Paxadox and dBase development. I
>am working on an invoicing form using the following:
>
>Delphi 4, IB 6.0 open source, IB Objects 4.2Fb
>
>Table INV_HEADER
> Primary key: ID
> TIB_Query.SQL: SELECT * FROM INV_HEADER FOR UPDATE
> .KeyLinks: INV_HEADER.ID
>
>Table INV_DETAIL
> Primary key: ID
> Foreign key: HDR_ID, references INV_HEADER.ID
> TIB_Query.SQL: SELECT * FROM INV_DETAIL FOR UPDATE
> .KeyLinks: INV_DETAIL.ID
> .MasterLinks: INV_DETAIL.HDR_ID=INV_HEADER.ID
> .MasterSource: dsInvHeader
>
>The form consists of several TIB_Edits for Header data and a TIB_Grid for
>Detail data.
>
>My Problem: When I open the form all header data appears to be fine, an id
>is generated and data can be entered into edits, but the Detail grid appears
>to be uneditable, I cannot enter any data. All necessary column headers
>appear in the grid but nothing else.
>
>I have read and studied forever, it seems; but I am stuck. Any help would be
>so very appreciated.

1. Remove the FOR UPDATE clauses from your queries
2. Make sure that you open both datasets explicitly.
3. Make sure that you set RequestLive true on both datasets.

Do you have the TI-sheet on Master-Detail from the TechInfo page?

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at
www.ibobjects.com