Subject Re: How to get data into a table
Author Marco Menardi
You use IBO like you would have used VCL without using persistent fields! When I used standard VCL, I never used persistent fields ;)
I think that first of all, you are using the wrong method for retrieving FIELDS:
your code
qryBooks.ParamByName('BuyDate')...
is for PARAMETERS, while for fields you have to use
qryBooks.FieldByName('BuyDate')...

To add a new record, simply do something like this (not tested, wrote directly here):
with qryBooks do
begin
Insert;
FieldByName('NAME').AsString := 'THE ANCIENT TALE';
FieldByName('BuyDate').AsDate := frmBooklist.dtpBuyDatum.Date;
Post;
end;

But you have to understand Transaction concepts to really be sure about what you are doing. There are some Tech Sheets on IBObject site, and an 'online' FAQ.

And I never use DTP, IB_Date works really well ;)
best regards
Marco Menardi