Subject Re: [IBO] First stab at applying security
Author Martijn Tonies
Hi Helen,

"Helen Borrie" <helebor@...> schreef in bericht
news:5.1.0.14.0.20020103185242.03a2e4b0@......
> At 08:49 AM 03-01-02 +0100, Martijn Tonies wrote:
> >> One common misunderstanding is the way roles work. You can make a user
> >> a member of multiple roles, but they can only login under only ONE
> >> role at a time. While logged in under that role, they can do whatever
> >> that role permits BUT they cannot do anything else - even though they
> >> may also be a member of a different role that does have the necessary
> >> permission.
> >
> >Personally, I prefer to call these 'groups'. And I would very much like
> >to see them appear in InterBase/Firebird.
>
> Martijn,
> They already do! They work with UNIX Groups. Windows doesn't implement
anything like it, really. The ACL in >Windows is a big crock, IMO but,
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Project JEDI has both a Delphi translation of the API
and >some encapsulating routines in the JCL...

Yes, I know about the UNIX group system in IB/FB ( a bit ), but I would
like to see a non-OS-bound group system... I dislike the tight integration
between MS SQL and Windows (some administrators like it though). And
groups working only on UNIX isn't the way to go I think :) ... IB/FB is
supposed to be portable and the same on every system (not counting
Netware here) -- so I think that the whole UNIX group system should be
seperated from an IB/FB group system...

my 2 Euro cents :)

--
Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

InterBase Workbench - The Developer Tool for InterBase
http://www.interbaseworkbench.com

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"