Subject Re: [IBO] Conversion between charactersets
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:28 AM 01-01-02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm using IBO 4.2E core components in one of my projects. The
>database is located either on a linux machine and on a W2k machine.
>
>This is a part of the DDL of the "problem-table"
>
>CREATE TABLE DSS_VP (
> NAME VARCHAR(60) CHARACTER SET NONE,
> VORNAME VARCHAR(40) CHARACTER SET NONE,
> ANREDE VARCHAR(20) CHARACTER SET NONE,
>
>);
>
>I ve added datasets which have in Field NAME names with German
>special characters. They were proper shown and handled but...
>
>I cannot search them with
>
>SELECT * from DSS_VP where NAME like 'Händel%'
>
>by using software (my project) and IBEXPERT e.g. which is, a I might
>have read somewhere, also created by using IBO.
>
>If I'm going to use the IBConsole with the same SQL, it works.
>
>Changing the character set to ASCII or WIN1250 doesn't help.
>My project and IBEXPERT them come up both with an error "Cannot
>translate between charactersets".

Thomas,
I created this table using IB_SQL:

CREATE TABLE DSS_VP (
NAME VARCHAR(60) CHARACTER SET NONE,
VORNAME VARCHAR(40) CHARACTER SET NONE,
ANREDE VARCHAR(20) CHARACTER SET NONE) ;

I inserted this row:

insert into DSS_VP(name)
values('Händel') ;

I ran this statement:

SELECT * from DSS_VP where NAME like 'Händel%' ;

IB_SQL (which uses TIB_Query) returned the row.

Then I tried
insert into DSS_VP(name)
values(_ISO8859_1'Hänneke') ; - no problems

SELECT * from DSS_VP where NAME like 'Hän%' ;

I got both rows, no problems.

Then:

insert into DSS_VP(name)
values(_WIN1250'Hännesbrück') ;

SELECT * from DSS_VP where NAME like 'Hän%' ;

I got all three rows, no problems.

So something else is going on here, which you have not mentioned...where did your data come from?

regards,
Helen