Subject Re: [IBO] Help IBObjects, Delphi & Local Interbase
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:44 PM 19-09-01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Group,
>
>I am attempting to connect to Interbase version
>WI-V6.0.1.0 on a peer-to-peer network with a Delphi 4
>Professional application using IBObjects version
>3.6Cd. I know what the standard line from Borland is,
>"Use NT Server..." unfortunately I do not have that
>option. Interbase was installed using the install.exe
>provided by Borland on a Windows 95 machine.
>
>I found instructions for configuring TCP/IP for
>Windows 95 on ibPhoenix.com Knowledge Base ID # 84.
>The last line says "The Communication Diagnostics
>utility can now be used to test Winsock connections,
>and DB connections using TCP/IP." The results are
>listed below my questions.
>
>First, is it possible to have a Delphi app on one
>machine talk to an Interbase database located on a
>second machine in a peer to peer network situation.

Without an NT server, it is not possible using the NETBEUI protocol. It is possible using TCP/IP.

>I get the following error message when I run the
>Delphi app.
>
>Project w2reader.exe raised exception class
>EIB_ISCError with message ISC_ERROR Code 335544721
>
>ISC ERROR Message:
>Unable to complete network request to host
>"0008c73a385c"
>Failed to establish a connection
>Network access is denied
>process stopped use step or run to continue.

InterBase isn't a file-sharing database, so the Windows file-sharing model is not applicable.

>In the delphi app, do I need to establish a TCP/IP
>connection, and if I do need this how do I do it. Do I
>need to do a WNetAddConnection2 and if so how do I use
>the return information with the TIB_Connection
>component.

No, the TIB_Connection component does all that for you automatically. For your part, you need to make sure of the following:

1a. You use the correct syntax in your client app for connecting to the server via TCP/IP. This is:
Servername:C:\database_path\MyDatabase.gdb

Achieve this by putting the Servername in the Server property and C:\database_path\MyDatabase.gdb in the Path property. Windows shares are NOT valid. It must be the physical path as seen on the server machine.

No variations are on this format are safe.

1b. You can also change the IB_Connection's Protocol property to cpTCP_IP if you like to dot the i's and cross the t's. However, the component is smart enough to work this out for itself if the Server and
2. The clients must be set up to find the server Servername (can be whatever you like) on the network. To do this, add an entry to each client's HOSTS file:

10.0.0.1 ServerName

The HOSTS file on Win9x (if it exists) is located in the Windows\System folder. If it doesn't exist, create it by making a copy of the file Hosts.sam and renaming it to HOSTS (no suffix).

Apart from that, your TCP/IP diagnostics look just fine.

hth,

All for Open and Open for All