Subject Re: [IBO] TIB_SchemaCursor DefaultSession Error
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:20 AM 07-09-01 +0000, you wrote:
>IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
>
>I have IBO 3.3.Gb
>I use also IB_WISQL 3.5 Ag
>I have installed Interbase 6.0.1 Binaries from Open Source 10-JAN-01
>and I can't read my database.gdb
>I re-install Interbase 6.0.0.627
>I can't read my database.gdb also
>But, on a other computer and Interbase 6.0.0.627 only, that ok.
>
>The error message is :
>ISC ERROR CODE:335544344
>ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
>I/O error for file C:\TEMP\ib_sort_a45135
>Error while trying to open file
>sort error
>STATEMENT:
>TIB_SchemaCursor: DefaultSession.
>SQL ERROR CODE:-902
>SQL ERROR MESSAGE:
>Unsuccessful execution caused by a system error that precludes
>successful execution of subsequent statements

This particular error indicates that your temp file is either inaccessible (it doesn't exist, or you don't have rights to it) or that it is too small. If you don't specify the temp file location yourself, it just defaults to c:\temp. Naturally, you will have an i/o problem if it doesn't exist.

The best idea is to create your own temp spaces for IB. Create one or more directories on hard disks on the same physical machine as the sever. It is OK (and a good idea) to have more than one, e.g. c:\ib_temp, g:\ib_temp (any name you like though).

Once the directories exist, go to the root of your IB installation and open the file ibconfig with a plain text editor - the Delphi editor, if you like.

Add a line like this for each temp directory you want to use:

TMP_DIRECTORY size “pathname”
The size is in bytes.
e.g.,

TMP_DIRECTORY 10000000 “c:\ib_temp”
TMP_DIRECTORY 20000000 “g:\ib_temp”

Make sure you use double quotes around the pathname. Don't use shared drives or UNC locations. Once you have save ibconfig, you will need to stop and restart the server for it to take effect.

You are using very old versions of both IBO and IB6. Why not get the latest Firebird pre-release - as one colleagues says on his tag-line: "There is nothing wrong with InterBase that Firebird can't fix for you."

The latest IB_WISQL (now IB_SQL) has a lot of nice new features; and the 3.6Di evaluation version of IBO will be a lot better to use with IB6/Firebird than your ancient 3.3 version.

rgds,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All
InterBase Developer Initiative · http://www.interbase2000.org