Subject RE: [IBO] Re: Interbase via internet
Author David Keith
Asta should do the trick for you. If the connection that your
IBO-based application has locally shows good performance, the
access that ASTA serves up to the internet will have
indistinguishable performance difference. I've tested it with
lousy hardware and 64k connection to the internet, going through
2 firewalls, an ISP and MANY routers, and it shows performance
levels similar to what I saw on the local area network.

David Keith
GreatLand Technology
-----Original Message-----
From: tashi@... [mailto:tashi@...]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 1:24 PM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [IBO] Re: Interbase via internet

I've done an application that is Internet-to-Interbase.
Specs:
Interbase 4.0 IBM(AIX)
Application Programmed in Delphi C/S 5.0
IBO 3.4Cc (The version standardized on when the program
was
written)
Internet Connection T1

Observations:
1. Users Connecting with a Dial Up Connection is very
slow, to
the point of being impractical.
2. Users with a direct connection to the Internet do see
some
delay, usually 15 to 20sec. minimum if not more.
3. Some Users have ISP's that overload their lines
causing
even more delays and cause frequent "Error writing
data to

connection" errors. At his point I have them exit
the
program and re-start the program. This is very
common in

the Chicago Area. No matter what I do, I can't get
the
speed and performance through the Internet that I do
Locally.

Recently I did a small application using ISAPI
Specs:
Interbase 4.0 IBM(AIX)
Application Programmed in Delphi C/S 5.0
IBO 3.4Cc
Internet Connection T1

Observations:
1. ISAPI Application resides on a Web Server and the
Application communicates directly with the Database.
The

Local speed and performance is maintained.
2. Users Connecting with a Dial Up Connection see no
speed
degradation other than the loading of the Web Page.
3. Users with a direct connection to the Internet see no
speed
degradation other than the loading of the Web Page.
Which
is obviously faster than a Dial Up Connection.
4. Being the communication is between the Web Server and
the
Database Server locally the "Error writing data to

connection" is no more. Of course speed and
performance

is the best it has ever been.

I did a small test application using the Active X component in
Delphi
5 C/S
Specs:
Interbase 4.0 IBM(AIX)
Application Programmed in Delphi C/S 5.0
IBO 3.4Cc
Internet Connection T1

Observations:
1. I found that it works the same as an ISAPI
application. The
application itself resides on the Web Server which

communicates directly with the Database Server.
2. The Active X Component converts a standard application
for
use on the Internet.
3. Active X only works with Internet Explorer. Some may
think
so what, but I have to deal with 47 Community
Colleges in

Illinois and the majority do not use Internet
Explorer,
they use Netscape. Until Netscape finally folds all,
our

applications have to work with both browsers.

My Conclusions:
1. We'll Upgrade to Interbase 6.0 when we get our new Sun
Machine to replace the IBM RISC 6000.
2. We'll continue to use Delphi C/S 5.0 or Upgrade to
6.0.
3. We'll continue to use IBO, beats all database access
components hands down.
4. All applications from here on out, will be done in
ISAPI,
Active X or some other Middleware or Multi Tier
application. We are now looking at ASTA and the
likes.

This is from my own experience of course. You could put a test
application together for your scenarios, Internet-to-Interbase,
Multi
Tier. Then test them from a Dial Up Connection and a Direct
Internet
Connection.

Remember the Direct Internet connection shouldn't be tested
locally,
sure an IP connection to the Database server in the next room
will
work fine and give you great performance, but will the same
thing
happen with a user in a high traffic area, like Chicago, get
the same
performance? Probably not. I and I'm sure others on this list
wouldn't
mind helping you test your application for performance.

Hope this helps.

*****************************
Kevin Everhart
Management / Analyst Programmer III
Illinois Community College Board
401 East Capitol Avenue
Springfield, IL. 62701-1711

E-Mail: keverhart@...
Ph: 217-782-3994
Fax: 217-524-6195
HomePage: http://www.iccb.state.il.us
*****************************

--- In IBObjects@y..., "danil" <dakunil@y...> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I want to make database server with Interbase.
> I'm not yet choose method and technology used by this server.
> For first method , if it possible, i want to connect directly
> the database via internet. I try to connect via internet with
IBConsole,
> but the result is very slow.
> Is the result will be better or not If i try it again with a
little
> program using IBObjects?
>
> Anyone please give me some references for this direct method
or
> reference for other method...
> For information, my goal is to build some kind like billing
application
> via internet which user can login, get their data, and update
their
> voucher.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.