Subject RE: [IBO] IBO shortcomings
Author Don Schoeman
At this stage of the fight I use both IBX and IBO. I can tell you one thing
and that is if you are developing a visually intensive application you will
suffer without IBO. Play around with a standard Delphi TDBGrid connected to
an IBX TIBQuery component and you will see what I mean. IBObjects so far
really does it for me on the visual front-end side. I only use the IBX
database administration components for some functions I created specifically
for the Administrator.

I have not seen any major shortcomings in IBObjects that will drastically
effect the project I'm doing. In fact I've been surprised a few times by
it's versatility by doing things I never thought it could do.

One of the major shortcomings of IBX is how it deals with the standard
Delphi VCL components, especially when using grids. I also had problems
running SQL scripts which contained more than one SQL statement, unlike IBO
where the IB_Script component can run a whole Metadata script without any
hassles.

My conclusion is:
- IBX is a freeware component set good for non-visual applications and
administrative functions.
- IBO is a typical example of a tool where you pay for good quality. You
will end up using it anyway when you've suffered enough with IBX while
trying to do a visually-active application.

My 2c's worth...

Best Regards,
Don Schoeman