Subject Re: [IBO] Trustware vs. OS (was: Re: Open Source Marathon)
Author J. Peter Mugaas
On 7 May 2001, at 8:31, Jason Wharton wrote:

> [snip]
> As far as I can tell, Trustware is the only model where developers
> receive any kind of monetary reward.

I did not mean to sound anti-money making or Anti-business. I do
mean to say everything should be free and Open Source (far from
it). I also do not mean to completely blast your ideals. Open
Source is definately not a panacea at all in spite of what some
people say.

There are non-monitary incentives. What I meant by not directly
from the code is that there are indirect ways of making money. For
example, Indy helps get the "Nevrona Designs" out which leads to
more sales of other products. In addition, Indy as a great
networking library is used in some commercial Nevrona Designs
products. Also, right now, I am helping with an Open Source
project called ICE which will benefit some other commercial things.
ICE is an installation framework (the Youseful software under an
Open Source effort). One reason my boss was interested in
helping with it is so that he could have something for automated
installs of some future Nevrona products. In addition, other
programmer could expand on it eventually to fit there needs and
everyone benefits from this even though no money changes hands.
Also remember that some money could be made with books and
support contracts. Also, some prioritary software can be build
under some Open Source licenses such as BSD or MPL.

There are some reasons why people will choose to make
something Open Source.

A) They are making money in other ways
B) The person is doing it out of their ideals
C) Some commercial products went Open Source because the
developers were not making enough from sales and licensing but
they still wanted the product to be developed to meat demands
(remember that there other factors besides Open Source which
cause business losses such as decreasing demand, a fixed
market size, compition, freeware authors, and pirates).
D) A developer's priorities may have changed

IAgain, let me point out though that Open Source is definately not
for everything particularly as developers have to make money, and
the thing uses too much which is licensed from others.

Again, let me say that I am not against commercial programs,
trustware, shareware, and making money off of your work.