Subject Re: [IBO] Re: Server name and path for database connection
Author Daniel Rail
Comments below.

At 26/04/2001 05:03, you wrote:
> > Do you mean using a share name ?
> > If so, using a share name works on NT. However the api call that is used
> > has been faulty since 95, 98, me etc etc.
> > There is a fix by MS for this in C. If you need it, I can give you the
> > delphi equivalent.
>
>No, I mean connecting to Interbase server without
>knowing the server computer name and the database path.
>
>For example, Sybase Adaptive Server only need you to specify
>a server name (not server computer name) and any database
>name when you start the database server. So the clients
>don't have to worry about the server name and the location of
>the database file.
>
>In Interbase case, I guess all clients will have to change
>connection parameters when the database file is moved to
>another folder in the server. I don't know if this is true
>or I just don't know the way.

Go to www.upscene.com and try the Upscene Alias Resolver. I never tried it
personally, but going to as soon as I have a free moment. Also, looking at
the possible features for Firebird 1.0, this is in the list. Unknown when
Firebird 1.0 is going to be released.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Daniel Rail
Senior System Engineer