Subject RE: [IBO] Dialect 1 or 3?
Author Ronny Bengtsson
How about Dialect 3 and Novell versions of Interbase.
As I have found out there are only IB 5.6 versions to run with Novell.
Can you run dialect 3 on IB 5.6?

/Ronny

-----Original Message-----
From: Claudio Valderrama C. [mailto:cvalde@...]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 11:18 AM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [IBO] Dialect 1 or 3?

Did you read the ReleaseNotes.pdf that comes with IB6? It explains most of
the things you ask about dialect 3:
- 64-bit generators.
- Exact numerics storage for numeric/decimal above precision 9.
- Date-only, time-only and timestamp data types.
- Exact arithmetics, beware! It resembles division in C => integer divided
by integer is integer, you will get zero if the divisor is greater than the
dividend and no decimals in other cases; AVG result will have only as many
decimal places as the column where AVG was applied, a sum of fields is
promoted to INT64, etc.
- The arithmetic behavior of procedures depends on whether you compiled them
under dialect 1 or 3.
- Dialect 1's numeric behavior has overflow flaws in comparison to IB5.6;
even in dialect 1 the new reserved words byte you; avoid pitfalls, use
dialect 3.

C.