Subject Re: Right Trimming Again
Author Lester Caine
--- In IBObjects@y..., "Geoff Worboys" <geoff@t...> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I just discovered something that perhaps everyone already knows, but
> it adds a new dimension to the discussion about whether trailing
> whitespace characters should be treated as significant or not. I
had
> Claudio help confirm this, so it is not my imagination. Apparently,
> if you want different behaviour, you need to go back to Interbase
v4.

You are confirming something that I had seen, and I think that this
is actual a major fault with IB, so where do we 'complain' about it?
Borland or Firebird.

> Although you may not agree, to me this adds weight to the argument
> that IBO should default to removing trailing spaces. It also adds
> weight to the idea that whereever possible you should avoid using
> trailing spaces as significant characters.

I have no option but it include the spaces, and they have to be in the
search was well as the data. My problem came about because the data
had lost the white space and so no longer matched the mainframe feeds.

There are no plans to change the mainframes, so am I the only person
who is having a problem with this?

( I am putting this in on-line because I have not had the message via
eMail yet )