Subject Re: [IBO] Search question
Author Harald Klomann
Marc Leclerc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So what's faster, I have tried to read on the benefit/drawback of using
> Where Query vs Filter but nothing that puts the clock straight.

It´s depending on the size/amount of your data.
Filtering is entirely done by the client, what means that all data has
to be fetched from the server into the client buffers and then comparing
is done. If the dataset is large, it needs time to transfer all data to the
client, and in second step all comparing has to be done. Also you need lot
of memory resources to bring all data to it´s buffers.

With the Where query, finding the result set is entirely done by the server,
which in most cases is much faster. Also, only a small result set has to be
transfered over the network to the client buffers.

I would use filters only on very small dataset´s which stay open for long time.

Harald