Subject RE: [IBO] Search question
Author Nico Callewaert
Thank you Harald, I'm already working on it, :-)

Nico Callewaert
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Harald Klomann [mailto:nibler@...]
Verzonden: vrijdag 23 maart 2001 10:54
Aan: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Onderwerp: Re: [IBO] Search question

Nico Callewaert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a form for searchedit connected to a query, in the
OnPrepare
> statement, I have a line like this : .... SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER
(NAME)
> STARTING WITH :NAME');
> Now a user is asking me if it is possible to search for a string not
> starting with, but like a substring.
> I think I can solve it with : .... SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER (NAME) IN
> :NAME'); ???
> Right ?

> Do I need 2 SearchEdit components for it ? In case if, if the user
would
> switch between the 2 search modes, I guess I have to reprepare the
statement
> with the right SQLWhereItems clause ?
> Or is there a better way for this ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nico Callewaert

Nico,

>> SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER (NAME) IN :NAME');

This will not work, use SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER (NAME) CONTAINING
:NAME');

> But the problem then is, how will I make a difference between the 2,
because
> user A will intend to look for a name STARTING WITH, and user B would
like
> to search on a substring in that name.

Use a switch on your form, like a checkbox with the text maybe Starting
with / Containing
In the OnPrepare statement, just evaluate the switch, like :

if CheckBox1.Checked then
SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER (NAME) STARTING WITH :NAME');
else
SQLWhereItems.Add ('UPPER (NAME) CONTAINING :NAME');

Harald

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Click Here to Find Software Faster