Subject Re: [IBO] ib_query ignores my data!
Author David Trudgett
At 2001-03-22 15:56 -0700, "Jason Wharton" <jwharton@...> wrote:

>In case you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to get to where you are telling me I
>should go...

Sorry if I came across a bit strong. I'm a stickler for correctness and
don't care if the majority get it wrong! :-)

Either way, I can live with, as long as default behaviour can be overridden.

>Right now they are both being right trimmed. I would like to do
>away with all default trimming but I do have a strong feeling that over 90%
>actually want whitespace off the ends of their strings trimmed. Where were
>you when we had this brawl some time ago?

Probably wasn't around. I haven't been using IBO for that long.

>It isn't uncommon for the majority rule to take precedence over mathematical
>correctness.

That may be true, but see above :-)

>In the case of IBO, if you are the unusual case that needs
>whitespace left alone it is a simple setting to do so. That was the decision
>I made back when I made it this way.
>
>Now that IBO allows centralized rules for domains I think it is easy to make
>either make their settings. Assuming people use domains, it is trivial to
>make a list of your domains and flag them with the behaviors you want for
>them. Trimming is included in that. Because of this ease, I would like to
>move more towards mathematical correctness, written differently "don't touch
>my data!".

I agree!

David Trudgett