Subject Re: [IBO] Opnions on this...
Author Helen Borrie
Carlos,
The way I always do this is to have a thing called "Stock Status". As soon as an order detail is created, the stock-in-hand is checked and, if there is sufficient, that stock goes into "reserved" status, meaning that it is unavailable to any other transaction. If the order transaction rolls back, or the order detail line is cancelled, the stock is released; if it commits, that transaction gets it and it becomes allocated to that detail line.

This means that, in a multi-user distribution system, stock-on-hand is calculated each time any query is done on stock quantity, as stock in store less allocated less reserved (less any outstanding unfulfilled backorders).

Invoicing time is too late to reserve stock.

fwiw,
Helen