Subject Re: [IBO] Explicit transaction requiring cascade deletes needs Close before StartTransaction
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:43 PM 18-02-01 +1300, you wrote:

> [...]

I think this is just getting more and more complicated and it just **isn't** this hard!! :) What *else* do you have on your form? If, for example, you have a master-detail set up involving the two tables in question, and the datasets are attached to the default transaction, and are open, then the FK violation is occurring because trWork can't visit the detail rows in order to delete them prior to deleting the requested master row.

Is this the situation? It would explain the behaviour you are describing (putting aside the extra "noise" of attempting to unprepare as an error-handling strategy...it's not suitable this way)

If so, then executing the dsql within the same (default?) transaction will work...trying to execute the dsql in a different transaction will not. And if you do have the datasets on the form, you don't need a DSQL to perform a delete on a selected master - its own Delete method will take care of it. If you need some special statement or procedure call to service the delete, use the DeleteSQL property for it.

Don't use the Close method of TIB_Transaction to do what you are trying to. Rather, always test to see if it is InTransaction. To complete a transaction, either commit it or roll it back. Don't try to unprepare a statement without completing the transaction, one way or the other. Handle db errors in the context of a failed commit. Note that, if a commit fails, the transaction doesn't roll back on its own. You must roll it back yourself and handle the error.

You are correct that the IB_Transaction will default to being the internally created transaction if you don't assign one yourself. But you can still take control of the default transaction and prevent autocommit, viz.

with MyDataset.IB_Transaction do
begin
if InTransaction then
Commit
else
Rollback; /* and this will indicate that there is an unhandled error somewhere */

I don't know whether this sheds any light on your problem...

Regards,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All