Subject Re: [IBO] Re: IBA_Statement.IMP ???
Author Geoff Worboys
> You are correct that NEW is wrong here. You need to use
> the object constructor, not a method that simply allocates
> a chunk of memory the size of the object type.

Sorry people, I had not been paying attention. Unless BCB5 has moved
away from Ansi C++ compliance, the use of new/delete is correct. A
bit of explanation for the Pascal people...

C++ constructors take the form
TClassName::TClassName( parameters)

Notice that the constructor name is the same name as the class! There
are no such functions a Create, and CreateNew etc. Instead, different
constructors are identified via different parameters on overloaded
constructor functions.

So in BCB you construct using...
NewPtr = new TClassName( parameters );
and you destruct using...
delete NewPtr;

The BCB Pascal compiler takes care of converting constructor "Create"
functions into overloaded TClassName(*) functions in the automatically
generated header files.

> > At 11:17 01.02.2001 -0000, you wrote:
> > >Just to make things alittle bit clearer.
> > >I want to do this in my program:
> > >
> > >TIB_Connection *Connection;
> > >Connection = new TIB_Connection(NULL);
> > >
> > >TIB_Transaction *Trans;
> > >Trans = new TIB_Transaction(Application);
> > >

> > >This work throw the compilator. But when I run the
> > >program, is the warning message "TIB_Transaction
> > >needs a connection to work!", and asI said earlier
> > >this is before the objects is being created. And then
> > >does it put the cursor on a file (Delphi code) where
> > >the warning message is being trown.

Simon,

I agree with Jason that it is generally safer to always provide an
owner in your constructors, but I doubt if that is the reason for your
problem.

Your code should probably be something like...

TIB_Connection *Connection = new TIB_Connection(Application);
TIB_Transaction *Trans = new TIB_Transaction(Application);
Trans->IB_Connection = Connection;

If you are getting "TIB_Transaction needs a connection to work" before
this code is called, then it must be because you are referencing a
transaction (but certainly not "Trans" since it would not exist yet,
so referencing it would cause an AV). In which case you may need to
move where you have placed this code.

HTH

Geoff Worboys
Telesis Computing