Subject RE: [IBO] IBO using IB 6.1 or Firebird.
Author Bram
Abandon doesn't mean it's not used or usable anymore. For example there are
stil a lot of Clipper application running and maintained here in Holland.
Even if Borland abandon Interbase it still can be used for a very long time
in it's current state. A database is a database, even the Internet cannot
change it. The presentation is different but it's still the same data...

Bram van der Voet

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Art Metz [mailto:ametz@...]
Verzonden: woensdag 6 december 2000 19:57
Aan: 'IBObjects@egroups.com'
Onderwerp: RE: [IBO] IBO using IB 6.1 or Firebird.

> I am worried about relying on developers who can abandon a project
> anytime they want, with no legal recourse for those who are left
> high and dry.

I take it that your worry is at a higher level because FireBird is open
source/volunteer. There are lots of examples of commercial software that
have been abandoned: Clipper and Visual Objects (Computer Associates);
Turbo Basic (Borland) ; VMS (DEC). And there are examples of Open Source
software that have persisted for a decade or longer: the GNU C compiler,
Emacs, FreeBSD. So, while your concern is (in my opinion) a valid one, it
is true whether you go with Borland's offering or IBPhoenix.

Just my two cents ...

Art Metz
AMetz@...