Subject Re: [IBO] Suggestions for IBO v4
Author Jason Wharton
If you want an in-memory table the easiest way to implement it would be to
do something like this:

Use a TIB_Query and specify a special code in the SQL property to signify
that an in-memory table was desired. Then, what it would do is allow you to
insert your records, etc.

With a little bit of work I think I could pull it off.

The SQL would have to provide the physical layout of the columns. If
CachedUpdates were enabled then it may even be possible to do something with
it more handy. Using cached updates essentially is an in-memory table you
are just basing the layout of the columns on a prepared select statement.

I already have the capability built into IBO to fake a prepared statement
without having to actually prepare it.

How does this sound?

The one limitation that it does have that comes to mind is it would require
a live connection and be impacted by whatever is going on in the
transaction. To isolate it from transactions you would just give it its own
transaction. In version 4 (perhaps not in the initial release but soon
afterwards) I will have IBO such that it will tolerate the connection going
away during a cached updates session. This could open up opportunities to
make the in-memory dataset that much more functional.

I have also been thinking of doing a cached table where my dataset is able
to load and unload a dataset to a local file. I also want to build in
client-side sorting of data. I think these are also essential features of
in-memory datasets.

If anyone is feeling brave and would like to get directly involved with
these developments let me know...

Jason Wharton
CPS - Mesa AZ
http://www.ibobjects.com