Subject Re: [IBO] TIBOQuery AfterScroll + recordCount problem (not BDE)
Author William Hill
----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Wharton <jwharton@...>
To: <IBObjects@egroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 3:31 AM
Subject: Re: [IBO] TIBOQuery AfterScroll + recordCount problem (not BDE)

> I think you could have your finger on a legitimate bug with regard to the
> record count issue. I will take the information you have provided and see
> what I can figure out. As for the AfterScroll event firing, I have pretty
> much allowed the TDataset class to do whatever it needs to do. This is a
> behavior that this class should be governing at the abstract level. I may
> need to comb through the DBTables unit to see if there is some special
code
> to produce the extra scroll events or if perhaps I am doing something to
> suppress them by mistake.
>
> Although you may do well to be a little more explicit in your app coding
> style I hold the ideal that I don't want you to have to fuss any more than
> you have to when converting a BDE app. I will take an interest in any
> behavioral difference and insure that I am introducing as few quirky
> differences as possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Wharton
> CPS - Mesa AZ
> http://www.ibobjects.com

Jason,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been away on business.
Yes, there is definitly somthing wronge with .recordCount but I have
reavaluated my coding style and I recognise that it is better for me
to count records than to rely on the query which fetches them,
therefore can you advise me on the following:-
1) The best iboAccess component to run a dynamic paramatised
sql count query.
2) Is it better using IBO + interbase 6 to use select count(*) or select
count(unique key).

The afterScroll event is a different matter, it is not something I can code
around easily if at all (although I have looked at the TDataSource
onDataChange event when the passed TField = nil) and I suspect
the problem is with suppression rather than extra code needed. What are
my chances on getting some resolution with this ? If I can help in anyway,
please let me know.

Best regards,

William.