Subject Re: porting from ORACLE
Author l.arzeni@amadego.com
> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: LMT <luciotato@...>
> Subject: porting from ORACLE
>
> migration from ORACLE
>
> i'm about to do such migration...
> i can do the migration by hand, or i can create a tool
> to ease the task.
>
> question 1:
> 1.¿does exists already a tool to help the translation?

You should try with power designer or any other db case tool. Download the
trial, then make a reverse engine of you oracle DB, then convert it into
firebird. I never did it, but it should al least carry away from you lot of work.

> question 2:
> ¿is anybody interested in a tool to help porting from oracle?

Yes definitely. Point is that it's a lot of work in my understanding. I'm
trying to write a data loading utility like SQLloader, but I have too little
time. I started to write it with perl, but I was not satisfied, so I will start
again with ruby. By the way, there are two projects on sourceforge attempting to
do something similar, but they are not supported. I proposed to one of them to
join but I had no answer...

Regards, Luca

--
Ing. Luca Arzeni