Subject Re: [IB-Conversions] Delphi4 & TTable
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:57 PM 02-03-02 +0000, you wrote:
>I have developed a small app using TTable (& TQuery) in Delphi 4. It
>talks well to a Firebird Server on the same machine.
>
>When I try to deploy to another (stand-alone) PC, I can't get the app to
>talk to the Firebird there without installing bits of Delphi on that
>machine also.
>
>Is there a freely available client for Firebird that TTable can see?

You need to deploy the BDE and a suitable SQLLinks driver to all clients
that use TTables and TQueries. You shouldn't regard the BDE and IB driver
that shipped with Delphi 4 as "suitable" for Firebird. They support
InterBase 5.1. The BDE support for InterBase 6 shipped with Delphi 6 but it
has some problems.

Most Delphi and BCCPB developers use BDE-free
connectivity. InterBaseXpress is for Delphi 5 and above, is free, but
won't fully support Firebird in future. IB Objects and FIBPlus are your
only real choices for Firebird. IBO is optionally free for non-commercial
use; FIBPlus is commercial. Both are in active, ongoing development and
you can get going in either for not much cash. Links are at www.ibphoenix.com

regards,
Helen

>Neville