Subject Re: [IB-Conversions] Re: MS SQL 2 InterBase Wizard
Author Marcelo Lopez Ruiz
----- Original Message -----
From: Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
To: <IB-Conversions@egroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [IB-Conversions] Re: MS SQL 2 InterBase Wizard

> At 01:12 PM 30-08-00 +0200, you wrote:
> Absolutely - creating the entire database from a script is the proper way
> to do it. Creating it interactively is about the worst.
>
> As you go on through you database development, you simply add your ALTER
> DATABASE, CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE, etc. statements to the script and
> continually keep a completely rebuildable metadata script available -
which
> also serves as your front-line system documentation.

The scripts generated *can* be saved to a file, although you can't feed them
to isql, because it uses parameters for inserting data, and keeps a title
for each statement.

The 'fun' part is migrating binary data. Other than this, I don't mind
saving all scripts (with data included) to a file.

Another wizard could be created to compare databases - it looks easy enough,
given the existing source code, and sounds like it could be helpful in a
number of situations.

I'll be having a busy morning here, but expect to see a new post today on
the egroups list and IBPhoenix (well, I'll send it to them, anyway).

Marcelo Lopez Ruiz