Subject Re: [firebird-tools] IBOConsole: Connect to embedded database @L
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:27 AM 6/01/2010, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to connect to an embedded database using IBOConsole?

If you are talking about a database and a renamed fbembed.dll as client then, in theory, yes. Place the executable in the application directory and connect just as with any other client application. Use a local connection string if the server version is Fb 1.5 or lower; use local connection string or TCP/IP local loopback (localhost) if the server version is Fb 2.0 or higher.

In practice, if your IBOConsole binary is old, you will have problems with Fb 2 and higher databases. The application is built with the IBOAdmin service components, a third-party component set developed from the IBAdmin code originally made open source by Inprise in 2000. IBOAdmin lay neglected for some years, gradually losing compatibility with newer versions of Firebird, IBO and Delphi.

In the past few months, a developer took up the components and refactored them to work properly with ODS 11 databases and more recent versions of IBObjects and Delphi. If this applies, I suggest subscribing to the ibobjects@yahoogroups.com list and asking whether a new binary of IBOConsole is available. The IBOAdmin code is open source and (I believe) available to beta testers, so if you use IBO, you could compile your own upgraded version of IBOConsole.

Helen