Subject Re: [firebird-tools] IBOAdmin BackupService
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:26 AM 8/12/2004 +0100, you wrote:

>Helen,

> which I
> >>
> >>that's not a problem with the components. Put an aliases.conf file in
> >>fbembed's home and it should use it.
>
>H> And what makes you think I didn't??
>
>Dunno. Works here (TM) so it appeared to be the most likely gotcha. :-)
>Please note that fbembed's home is by default the directory containing
>the embedding exe file. Please also note that something around this
>area was fixed in Fb 1.5.1 IIRC.
>
>H> Try it yourself (but, as suggested, it might be an IBOAdmin version that's
>H> too old to know about aliases).
>
>I did. I always do my homework before speaking up. That's why I am so
>quiet in the support lists: it takes time. :-)
>
>The client components don't need to know about aliases at all. You
>could use aliases through an IB4 client if you are able to find one.
>
>H> I thought it was worth mentioning, since
>H> it can't be a client version problem!! It seems as if the Services API
>H> implementation of the backup routine bypasses the alias resolution, since
>H> gbak doesn't have a problem with it.
>
>Must be something specific to your setup. Wasn't that you who had
>other strange problems in making fbembed work as it should?

Nope. I've never had any problems with it, not with 1.5.0 or 1.5.1. I
don't have 1.5.2 yet though. When I do, I'll run this app through again
and supply an alias for the databasename.

>H> If you want, you can download both the project source and the executable
>H> from the IBO Contributed page.
>
>I'm sorry - what project? Do you mean an example that shows the
>problem? If so I am happy to try it on my system and report back if it
>helps some. What's the archive name?

It's the first item under Samples and Solutions (green background). It has
the obscure file name BackupUnderEmbed.zip. :-))

>Anyway I bet that upgrading IBOAdmin won't cure an alias resolution
>problem just like upgrading my Windows XP to SP2 won't make my office
>room any larger. :-)

That's why I'm not upgrading to WinXP. The room is already crowded enough :-)

Helen