Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 3.0 client does not work with remote Firebird 2.5 database
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 21-1-2019 00:38, lester@... [firebird-support] wrote:
> At the current time I am assuming that since I HAVE to be able to access
> many legacy sites I need to disable all the new stuff and since many
> sites have the same alias names for the local databases, if I change a
> remote site to FB3 I can't rely on making changes to the local
> databases.conf since that would not know if the remote site was FB2.5 or
> FB3. So *IS* the local client taking notice of the databases.conf and if
> so are we then going to have to rename aliases as they move from FB2.x
> to FB3?
This should not be necessary at all. It should not be necessary to
"disable all the new stuff", nor should you need to create a
databases.conf with a config for the client to be able to connect to
Firebird 2.5. Doing things like that is only necessary if you want to
configure the most secure settings as the default (ie only use Srp), and
then per database configure less secure options (ie use Legacy_Auth).

In addition, I have tried using databases.conf to configure client
specific options, and as far as I can tell, that doesn't even work:
fbclient.dll makes no attempt to read a databases.conf file, it only
reads firebird.conf.

With the default config (or at least, a config where AuthClient contains
at least Legacy_Auth), a Firebird 3 client should be able to connect to
a Firebird 2.5 or lower. If that is currently not possible, that is a bug.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel