Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird 3: Not able to UPDATE RDB$Procedures
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 2018-05-31 23:48, blackfalconsoftware@... [firebird-support]
wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up, Mark...
>
> However, Carlos' explanation when I read through it again, does appear
> to be a little confusing at the least.

I have read it again, and I don't see how it is confusing. Might be the
difference in how non-native speakers like Carlos and me read and write
English.

> Why not simply disallow it altogether and be consistent?

It was initially disallowed in the inital alpha (or maybe beta) of
Firebird 3, and people complained. There was no consensus for a
solution, so as an interim solution, the old method was reinstated by
making an exception for updates to the source columns.

> As I just mentioned in another reply to you, no one breaks into
> databases to steal stored procedure source code...

Well, third parties selling applications using Firebird think they need
to be able to protect their IP this way.

Mark