Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Cannot open database file in local hard disk
Author Eduardo

Good news!!!
With the tip of Neil I found a strange solution. I did the following:

Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I couldn't.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I couldn't.
Make a copy of the original Firebird.conf, which has the commented line #DatabaseAccess = Full.
In Firebird.conf, uncomment the line DatabaseAccess = Full.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I could!
Delete the modified Firebird.conf and restore the original one, which has the commented line #DatabaseAccess = Full.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I could!

Conclusion: Now I have the same Firebird.conf as an hour ago, but everything is working fine.

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: Re: [firebird-support] Re: Cannot open database file in local hard disk
De: Eduardo <gusedum@...>
A: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: 20/02/2018 16:35

As you say, that sounds to be related, but unfortunately I found that line commented as it is by default. Every line related with DatabaseAccess is commented. I even compared the whole file firebird.conf with the one in another computer with the same Windows (in which one I don't have the problem), and they are identical.

I thought of restarting Firebird anyway, but I canĀ“t do it now because there are people working. I will do it later.

De: 'Neil Pickles' neil.pickles@... [firebird-support]
A: <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
Fecha: 20/02/2018 14:04

You're not switching between 32 bit and 64 bit versions of
Firebird are you?

I'm not sure exactly when the change occurred but I remember
similar issues trying to open a 32 bit generated database with a 64 bit
version of Firebird or vice versa. It's definitely okay with v2.5 but
not sure about v2.1 as it's been some time since I use v2.1 for
anything.

When you open it successfully on another computer, is it the
same bitness of Firebird, 32 bit or 64 bit?

Cheers,

Neil Pickles

De: Eduardo <gusedum@...> <mailto:gusedum@...>
A: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: 20/02/2018 10:57

Hello:

I use Firebird 2.1 and in some computers I cannot open a
database file which is in the local hard disk.

For example, let's suppose I have the database
C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB and I try to open it with IB_SQL (from
IBObjects).

If I use C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB I get "unavailable
database".
If I use SERVERNAME:C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB I get
"unavailable database".
If I use \\SERVERNAME\C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB
<file:///\\%5C%5CSERVERNAME%5CC:%5CTest%5CMYDATABASE.FDB> I get
"unavailable database".

If I modify firebird.conf creating the alias
MYDATABASE=C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB, then using MYDATABASE I can open the
database.

In almost every computer with any Windows version (XP,
7, 10, 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016) I can open the database using every one
of the four methods, but in some computers the first three methods
return "unavailable database" and I can open the database only using an
alias. Now I am having the problem in a computer with Windows Server
2008 R2 Standard with Service Pack 1, but I remember having this problem
in other computers from time to time.

Any ideas of which may be the reason? ... and the
solution?

Thanks in advance. Regards

Eduardo

mpaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Libre de virus. www.avast.com