Subject Re: [firebird-support] Updating Firebird version and database compatibility issue
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 9-1-2017 18:08, Leandro Melo de Sales leandromsales@...
[firebird-support] wrote:
> Scenario: My customer has a Linux CentOS 5.7 with Firebird TCP/IP server
> version LI-V2.5.2.26540 Firebird 2.5. I want to update his Linux server
> to Ubuntu latest version. My customer uses a third-party application
> called ProDoctor that connects to the server.
>
> Question: is there any compatibility issues if I do the Linux update?

Moving from CentOS to Ubuntu is not really an upgrade, and more a
migration, you might hit some snags that have nothing to do with Firebird.

I am assuming that you will be using the Firebird version of the
distribution, but as you haven't mentioned a specific version: if you
update to a higher 2.5.x version of Firebird there should be no
compatibility problems.

If you upgrade to a 3.0.x version of Firebird there might be
compatibility issues and you will need to migrate the database using a
backup under Firebird 2.5 and restore under Firebird 3.0. Consult the
Firebird 3 release notes for details.

And above all else: test the upgrade, especially when going to Firebird 3.

As to ProDoctor, I have never heard from it, you might want to consult
the vendor for information and compatibility.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel