Subject Re: [firebird-support] Gbak performance issues on FB3
Author

Mark

Ok, I understand, but on the same server I just reverted to Firebird 2.56 and the gbak flies, like it works several times faster than on FB3. One more thing I've noticed that may help understand what is happening, on FB3 gbak uses 15x (15 times) aprox. more network resources that hdd resources while doing a local backup or restore. Obviously in FB 2.5 the network is at zero because there is no need to go through the localhost or ip to avoid launching the embebed connection (the fbk files are local on the hdd, and the database obviously is also local to the same server). My theory is that the issue is somewhere around there. Pehaps there is a way to talk to the super server without involving the network card? Perhaps there is a way to finetune the data flow between gbak and the database and the fbk creation, as it seems somewhere in the chain there is a delay, it seems somewhere there is a bottleneck.

I hope my long hours of debbuging are helping identify a potential issue.

And to finish on a good note, so far with my application FB3 has not shown any negative behaviour when compared with FB 2.5, I am connecting via ODBC 32 bits.

Cheers,
Fabian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Gbak performance issues on FB3

On 10-9-2016 22:11, fabianch@... [firebird-support] wrote:
> I am running both gbak.exe and nbackup.exe on an FB3 server with Windows
> 2012 R2 64 bits, 24 processor, 192 GB ram, the nbackup.exe level zero is
> much faster than the gbak.exe (does not make any sense, it should take
> about the same time as gbak), both running locally but connecting using
> the super server (localhost:database_name); any ideas why gbak.exe is so
> slow?

Your assumption is wrong, nbackup is expected to be a lot faster than
gbak as it makes a physical backup of the database pages instead of a
logical backup of the data in the database.

Mark

--
Mark Rotteveel

------------------------------------
Posted by: Mark Rotteveel <mark@...>
------------------------------------

Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item
on the main (top) menu.  Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu there.

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: