Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird - errors logs
Author Helen Borrie
Hello 'maciejlik@...',

Thursday, July 21, 2016, 1:56:12 AM, you wrote:

> What could be causing these errors firebird server. I noticed that
> errors occur when you start the second computer (client) ?

> POS003 (Client) Wed Jul 20 10:27:53 2016
> INET/inet_error: connect errno = 10061

WSAECONNREFUSED 10061 Connection refused.
No connection could be made because the target computer actively refused it. This
usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign
host—that is, one with no server application running — or trying to connect to a
Firebird server using an InterBase client, or vice versa.

Make sure the client computer is loading fbclient.dll, which might
have been renamed to gds32.dll. If the application is loading
gds32.dll from an InterBase installation, you will get this error.

The database server refused the connection, check the following.
-- Make sure that the Firebird server is started on the system that you
are trying to connect to. This error suggests that it was not started
during the time those 10061 errors were being logged:

> POS003 (Client) Wed Jul 20 10:28:09 2016
> Guardian starting: "C:\Program
> Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_1\bin\fbserver.exe"

-- Check to ensure that the entry for port 3050 in your Services file
is consistent with your firebird.conf setting for RemoteServicePort.

-- Check that the server name (host name) and IP address are correct
in the hosts file of the client.

-- Your screenshot shows that Firebird is running on a very old, slow
Netbook engine with only 500MB of RAM. Your log messages are
consistent with such an under-powered server: it is taking a long time
to load and is simply not ready ready to accept client connections
when the client application starts up.

(The screenshot is confusing, though. It looks more likely to be the
system properties of an old Windows POS terminal than of your host
server. I am wondering whether the user whose computer actually hosts
Firebird might have recently run the free Windows 10 upgrade. When I
did so on a Netbook and a notebook, the network client configurations
were left in chaos!)

These errors (except the last) are all from the network. Firebird
does not "know about" network errors: it can only report the errors
that are passed to it by the network operating system.

As others have observed, you are running a very old version of
Firebird. If you need to stay with V.2.1, it would make sense to use
the most recent sub-release, V.2.1.7, from December 2014.

HB