Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB3 and not null
Author liviuslivius

W dniu 2016-03-11 14:32:14 użytkownik Dmitry Yemanov dimitr@... [firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> napisał:

11.03.2016 13:39, liviuslivius wrote:

> I see that in FB3 this was changed and before apply not null to column -
> all existed data are validated.

Correct.

> Is three some possibility to disable this behavior?

Nope.

> On my big table with 910 468 710 records this operation take 72 minutes.
> I am sure that all records contain value in this field and this check is
> then "useless".

But Firebird is not that sure. You may forget something and get
inconsistent database as a result.

Out of curiosity, how often do you change NULL <-> NOT NULL on such big
tables? ;-)

Dmitry_,_._,___

Hi,

not so offten ;-)
- but you know if db is 24/7
and you have many new services that can insert or modify data
you try to fix some info on db side - you can forgot in some service to check this field not null.

And as i remember that it is not good to modify database metadata when other users are connected (maybe this was changed in FB3?).
Then i must put database offline for longer time than nesscessery.

regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski