Subject Re: [firebird-support] When do I need the FB 3 client libs?
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 2016-03-04 12:45, Köditz, Martin Martin.Koeditz@...
[firebird-support] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder when to use the new client libs. For getting more concrete:
> run a web server with apache using the FB 2.5 client libs to access
> the FB 3.0 RC 2 server. Is that constellation OK or are there
> benefits
> by using the 3.0 client libs? Same for access via Flamerobin.

You should use the Firebird 3 client if you want all improvements in
the wire protocol like:

1. New, more secure authentication (SRP) that allows passwords longer
than 8 characters (note: users for the legacy authentication are
separate identities from the users for the new authentication model!)
2. Encryption
3. Compression
4. Performance improvements in the wire protocol v13 (2.5.5 client
library supports protocol v12 or lower)

Other than that everything should work.

Mark