Subject Re: [firebird-support] Missing fbclient.lib
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:21 a.m. 27/06/2015, thom@... [firebird-support] wrote:

>I'm taking over maintenance and development on a Windows application written in C++. Unfortunately I have to do it without any help from the previous developer, and without a full copy of his build directory. I seem to have all the sources, but _not_ the 3rd-party libraries.
>

>I'm trying to build the application in Visual Studio 2010 (this is a very old program), and I'm currently stumped by the absence of fbclient.lib from my project.

The .lib files are in the \lib folder of the full Firebird installation. If you don't need to install Firebird, just download the .zip kit and extract the .lib files.

>I found a comment that seems to imply the source code was using Firebird 2.5.2.

2.5.4 (latest sub-release) is the same, with a few years' worth of bug fixes.

>I downloaded and installed Firebird 2.5.4 (couldn't find any links to older 2.5 versions) and did a client-only install. It gave me a fbclient.dll, but not the corresponding *.lib. I have scoured the Firebird web site and have not been able to find the *.lib file that I need.
>
>I am comfortable with C++, but I am not very familiar with Visual Studio (in particular) or Windows development (in general). Is the *.lib just a bunch of stubs that forward to the *.dll entry points? Can it be generated automatically somehow? Or does this mean the previous developer has left me without some code I need?

I don't use VS but I think they act as some kind of helper for the linker.

Helen