Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird SQL Classic-Server 2.5.3 in OSX 10.10.2
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:38 p.m. 4/03/2015, you wrote:
>bevore my question i have changed the /etc/service file to this:
>
>gds_db 5143/udp # gds_db (buhl)
>gds_db 5143/tcp # gds_db (buhl)
>
>(without „/„ like the other entrys in this file)
>
>since this, firebird has stpped/started many times (reloading,reboot)
>but firebird seems to ignore the etc/service file on my system. (?)
>
>any other suggestions for osx 10.10. ?

Editing the services file does not open ports in the firewall. Have you checked whether port 5143 is open in the firewall?

Next, have you tried setting the port in firebird.conf:

# TCP Protocol Settings
#
# The TCP Service name/Port number to be used for client database
# connections.
#
# It is only necessary to change one of the entries, not both. The
# order of precedence is the 'RemoteServiceName' (if an entry is
# found in the 'services.' file) then the 'RemoteServicePort'.
#
# Type: string, integer
#
#RemoteServiceName = gds_db
#RemoteServicePort = 3050

The commented settings are the Firebird defaults. You can try to override them by deleting the comment marker # on RemoteServicePort and setting the new port:

#RemoteServiceName = gds_db
RemoteServicePort = 5143

After saving the changes in firebird.conf, don't forget to
1) open the new port in the firewall and
2) shut down and restart any fb-inet_server processes.

I'm not sure, but you might have to restart xinetd before step 2), as well. I don't have access to an OSX box to test that.

Helen Borrie, Support Consultant, IBPhoenix (Pacific)
Author of "The Firebird Book" and "The Firebird Book Second Edition"
http://www.firebird-books.net