Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Proper way to configure Firebird startup on FreeBSD 10
Author marcus
http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/qsg2-config.html#qsg2-config-security
discusses some points you should consider.

And where to place databases - now, there are some common locations such
as /var, /usr/var or /opt - but there is no general authoritative answer
possible, as it depends on how the system is configured and what are the
needs of operating the db.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/security.html discusses general
freebsd security and links to some more toppics.

And as written before: firebird is the only user who needs access to the
databases.