Subject RE: RES: [firebird-support] Firebird 1.5 on 64bit OS. Newer Hardware but bad performance
Author Halim Boumedjirek

Thank you Josh,
We are dealing with your old issue now. we upgraded from 2003 32 bit to win 2008 server 64 bit. We have two servers. Our plan is to downgrade one server to 2003 32 bit and use it for now. The second server will remain on win 2008. We will install FB 2.5.2 on it and test our apps on it. After making sure everything is working right with 2.5.2, we then upgrade our first server.

-Halim

To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 13:51:17 -0600
Subject: Re: RES: [firebird-support] Firebird 1.5 on 64bit OS. Newer Hardware but bad performance

We recently had to deal with this issue. Going from 2003 32bit to 08 64bit. The problem is the way FB utilizes system memory when using an older version on a 64bit system. We upgraded to 2.5.2 64bit and it gave us more options for tweaking the usage of system memory VS FB cache. It also fixed FB's memory bug on 64bit systems. Completely solved our issue.

We also did a bunch of other tweaks that really helped. Let me know if you need any help with this.

-Josh

Josh Hartmann
Senior Engineer
COMPUtek Dental Systems
P: 970-224-4022
F: 970-224-4001

On 05/30/2014 09:38 AM, 'Fabiano - Desenvolvimento SCI' fabiano@... [firebird-support] wrote:
Maybe you dont have a HDD cached controller.

Run a program like Crystal Disk Mark in the old computer and in the new computer. If the performance of new computer is terrible you must change your physical hard disk controller.

I had this problem with a Dell server that is a “internet server” (without cache) instead of a “Database serve”.