Subject Re: [firebird-support] Cannot connect to remote FB Server
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:31 p.m. 3/03/2014, dennisktliew@... wrote:

>I have problem connecting to FB server from a remote PC sitting on different subnet mask. It said "Cannot attach to services manager" everytime I tried to establish connection using TCP/IP mode.
>
>Server IP: 172.30.18.104
>Gateway: 172.30.16.1
>
>Client IP: 172.30.0.244
>Gateway: 172.30.0.1
>

>Firewall is off at both side.
>Port 3050 is opened.
>Anti-virus sofware is off.
>

>Local conncetion to database at server is fine.
>
>If I connect from a client PC which resides on the same network segment, it is working fine. I suspect is has something to do with the packet routing or have I missed anything here?
>
>Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

"Cannot attach to services manager" isn't an error you would expect for a straight database connection. What are you actually trying to do from the remote client?

Show us the connection string you are using to attempt the remote connection. Make sure you mention whether the host server is running Windows or a POSIX OS, as the syntaxes are different.

Try a tracert to the Firebird host IP address, too. That should help to establish the last IP address in the route.

Helen Borrie, Support Consultant, IBPhoenix (Pacific)
Author of "The Firebird Book" and "The Firebird Book Second Edition"
http://www.firebird-books.net